Thursday, September 13, 2012

Big Brother Love

I have been feeling lately, honestly since Isabel arrived, that I have not been able to give Maxwell the love and attention that he deserves. Many of my friends with multiple children tell me that this is all normal. My OBs nurse even said something like, he got 3 years of undivided attention, she will never have that, it all balances out. Anyway, I have been rather melancholy about the whole thing.
Maxwell is amazingly perceptive. He has been telling me for 2 days now that he wants me to be happy. WOW!! Out of the mouths of babes. I have really been missing our snuggle time after bath and reading stories. But for the last 2 nights Terry has been working late and I have had to manage things by myself and amazingly I have been able to get 2 nights of snuggles and bath playtime in. I feed Isabel, put her in bed, awake or asleep and hang with my little man. It has been fabulous!
One of my friends, with 4 kids, told me that he probably hasn't even noticed the lack of time that I have for him and to just take small moments to play and love on him throughout the day. I put it into practice today and I did wonders for my psyche. It is true though, Maxwell has no idea. He show no resentment toward Isabel. On the contrary, he dotes on her. He wants to play with her, hold her, lay down with her, kiss on her and love on her. When he holds her hand he says he is coupled on to her. When he offers something to Terry or I, a car, a cookie, whatever, he always asks her if she wants one to. It melts my heart!
He really is the best big brother! I love his kind heart and generous nature and I can only strive to be the best parent for him. The parent he thinks I am. I hope I live up to his expectations. Lord knows he blows mine away everyday with his thoughtfulness.

I love you my bestest boy! You make me proud to be your mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment