Monday, July 1, 2013

Gardening

Well, I had to show off a little, as we are already harvesting from our pea patch.

 This bed has carrots, beans, lettuce, spinach, peas, onions...

 ...on this end are brussel sprouts, brocolli, celery and more onions.
The spinach leaves are huge! Absolutely delicious and the brocolli has been quite tasty also. We have already harvested all the kohlrabi. Clearly we need to plant more next year.

 This bed is new to us so the soil isn't as enriched with compost. We did grow a cover crop over the winter, but I don't think the soil is quite ready. It will be better next year.

 We have zuchini, cucumber, watermelon, peppers, eggplant, more lettuce and tomatoes and tomatillos.
The zuchini and lettuce have been delicious.

 Those of you who know me well, know I don't care very much for annuals, but Terry suggested we plant up the sad empty box on the deck. It doesn't seem to grow anything well, not enough light. However, the annuals seem to be doing amazing! There are petunias, calibrachoa, lobelia, nemesia, salvia and my most favorite cut flower, gerber daisies.

 So far we have had 3 blossoms. The stems aren't quite long enough to cut for a vase, but I do love looking at them. They last longer on the plant anyway.

My newest herb container. Two varieties of sage, oregano and can a person ever have enough chives?? NEVER!!

So far everything is growing really well. I hope the annual box gets fuller, but I am thrilled with the results already. Maybe annuals aren't a waste of money after all?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment