Monday, May 7, 2012

Bye Bye Binkie Epilogue

For those of you following the Binkie drama, here is an update.
After 10 days of one hour naps and bedtimes that started at 8:30 and ended at 10:30 or later, a decision had to be made. Terry and I talked about what to do. I wanted to give Max back his binkie. Terry wanted to stick with the plan and give Max more time to find his way.
Here is what happened:
Maxs temperment had dramatically changed since removing the binkie. He was regularly cranky, whiny and cried at everything. Gone were the days of two to three hour naps and prompt bedtime routines. Terry took everything in stride. I continued to feel like the worst parent on the planet. I could tell he was suffering. He would tell daddy, "Maxie big boy, no need binkie." He would beg me for a binkie, at nap time and at bed time. After 10 days and regularly not wanting to go down for a nap, Max cried inconsolably for 25 minutes during naptime. I went up a few times to try to soothe him but he wasn't having it. Terry wasn't home yet from school and I tried calling but got no answer. I wanted him to reassure me that we were doing the right thing.

Finally, I broke down. I went up to him with the one binkie I had stashed in his diaper bag for emergencies. Instantly the crying stopped and he was out. That day he slept for 3 hours. I am still not sure I made the right decision but I know Max is happier. The binkie was never really a big problem. He only used it for naptime and bedtime and only in his crib. He clearly wasn't ready yet to give it up. I forced the issue, it was all me.
I, he, we learned a valuable lesson. Sometimes parents make mistakes. It is okay to show your kids that you are not always right about everything. I don't think Max will even remember what he just went through. I can't worry what he will think about this or if I made the right decision. I just know he is happier and we have our old Max back.

I will wait until he is ready to give it up next time. He will out grow it and if he doesn't, once he realizes that his friends don't use one, he will want to give it up by himself. In his world of parental control and regular use of the word, no, he has to have control over something.

No comments:

Post a Comment