Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Not Always Roses and Sunshine

*Warning: Personal blog post ahead!

Well, it had to happen sometime. We have been so lucky to have such a happy little man for so long. I am not going to say that it is the terrible 2's because I don't believe in that. I think that he is developing his own personality and wants and sometimes they come into conflict with what I, Terry or we want him to do.

My first sign of this was at the library about 3 weeks ago when he pitched a complete tantrum, in the library, because I would not let him play on their computers. We had gone for story time and he would not sit still. So we walked outside to the childrens area and he climbed onto one of the kid sized chairs and started tapping the keyboard. I worry it will break or send the computer into some kind of failure and I don't want to be one of those parents that lets their kids destroy something and walk away. So in a effort to change his direction we tried reading a book. Nope! We went back to story time. Nope! He wanted those computers! So we started to leave and he exploded! There was squirming and screaming and then he went limp, while continuing to scream. What was I to do? We walked out of the library and I stood outside in the pouring rain wondering what happened to my sweet, happy little boy. To close to nap time? Hungry? I just don't know. He cried all the way home in the car, after I fought with him to strap him into the car seat. As soon as he saw the trains at the depot, he stopped and as quick as it started, it was over.

That was tantrum #1. Tantrum #2 happened yesterday. After a couple of beautiful "summer" days, it started to rain again. AH HA! Seasonal affective disorder?! Just kidding, thats me! Anyway, we started our walk with no rain, by the end we were running home as it poured down on us and we were soaked. Max of course loved it because he was in the wagon with a huge smile on his face as we run along trying to get home. Once home and in the shelter of the garage, we started to go upstairs and Max wants to go outside. We try to entice him to swing in the garage. We set it up special for rainy days. Nope! He wants to go play in his new sandbox. So we try to explain that its raining and we can't right now, maybe later. Start of tantrum #2.
Screaming and kicking and flailing himself around. We finally get him upstairs and he drops to the ground howling and crying. Terry tries to talk to him, I say just let him cry it out. In the words of my least favorite expression, "it is what it is." So I found a Thomas the Tank Engine movie on instant Netflix and suddenly everything is fine.

I know there are more of these days ahead. I, oddly am looking forward to them with a little trepidation. It is a chance for all three of us to grow and learn, teach each other patience and tolerance and maybe even play in the rain, I guess?

No comments:

Post a Comment