Monday, April 23, 2012

Bye Bye Binkie Night #2

Well, things did not go as well as we had hoped last night or should I say this morning. Around 3:30 am, Max woke up crying and asking for his binkie. I went in to lay down with him and he was not about to go back to sleep. So at 4am, I put him back in the crib and went back to bed. At 4:45am, he cried out again. So I went in to soothe him. I stayed with him until he finally fell asleep at around 5:30am. He was back at it again at 7:45am, so I went in and we snuggled back to sleep until 8:30.

We had a pretty mellow day. We played at a new park on a choo choo and made it home for lunch and an early nap, or so I thought. He usually naps around 1pm. Today he fiddled around until finally falling asleep around 2pm.  I know he is struggling and slowly, maybe developing the coping techniques he needs to get over his binkie fixation. After his nap we met daddy at the fly park. I have been trying to keep him busy. Maybe that isn't the best strategy but I figure if he is exhausted he will hopefully just pass out at bedtime. We even stayed up later tonight, mowing the yard, playing in the sandbox and having a late bath. Finally teeth brushing, stories and what we thought was bed.

Not tonight. The inconsolable crying began. He started out by laying down with daddy, then they called me upstairs. We all lay together. Trying to console Max. Telling him what a big boy he is, how we are so proud of him. As he continued to cry, I started to cry to. I know we are making the right decision but hearing him is truly painful and makes me doubt everything. He finally passed out around 10pm. I am hoping that he sleeps through the night. I really need it. We have one more night together as a family to deal with this until I have to go back to work and Terry is on his own. I was hoping for a smooth transition, maybe tonight is the night. Maybe not. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment