Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!!

Happy NewYear Everyone!!
What a great ride this last year has been. I made it through another year as a mommy. I know, it isn't that difficult, but some days I still wonder if I am making the right decisions. Max has finally become his own little person. It is amazing to see him grow and change everyday. His personality is coming out and he is a smart, funny, empathetic and obstinate little man. He has so many of both Terry's and my best and worst qualities and has developed so many more of his own. Each day presents its own little challenges, some bigger then others. Terry and I both rise to each challenge and hopefully become better parents for it.

Our current challenge is potty training.
Isn't that the most delicious bum you have ever seen??

Back in October Max was very much wanting to potty in his big boy potty. He would tell us when he wanted to go. So we would rush to the potty and strip him down. He would happily pee, sitting or standing. I was sure now was the time. So we went out and got some big boy unders. Who else but Thomas the Tank Engine!

I foolishly decided to wait until December when Terry would be home to start potty training full time. Besides, I hadn't finished reading, "Potty Training Boys the Easy Way." That was my biggest mistake. I missed my window of opportunity. I thought he would continue to tell us when he was ready to go pee. In October, there wasn't a day that went by that he didn't go potty, at least once in the toilet. Now and throughout December, Terry and I have tried to get him to tell us when he needs to go. We have tried to get him to wear his big boy unders for at least an hour everyday. It has only worked once!!
That morning he had 3 accidents in 3 pairs of big boy unders. We asked and asked. We told him to tell us when he wanted to go. Nothing!! Until, "Uh oh!"

So we would clean up and tell him it was okay. Tell him we can try again later. He hasn't worn big boy unders since that first time. A couple of times we have just let go naked. That isn't working either. He won't tell us when he has to go. He doesn't want to wear his big boy unders. I am frustrated. Terry says it is no big deal. It takes time. He sees the accidents as part of the learning process. What a great dad!

I know eventually Max will get the hang of it. I, as usual, have to give in to the process. I think that is the key to parenting. Just give in and ride the ride. There will be ups and downs, sharp turns and pitfalls, but you just have to hang on and have fun.
So here is to a New Year and the wild ride ahead. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment