Monday, August 15, 2011

Maxwell's 2nd Birthday

Can you believe it! Maxwell is 2!
We had a whirlwind weekend celebration of birthday festivities. (See previous post.)

Everyday that I wake up and look at him, I still think, "Oh My God It's Early!" But I have learned to appreciate that he does sleep in quite often and there are other children that do not. Praise be to those parents!

I am continually amazed at how much he grows and learns every day. For example, he now says agua for water, instead of water. Is that good or bad? I don't care! I am just thrilled he is speaking and doing more of it every day. He repeats what you say, especially new words. You can literally watch him learn. Soaking up information like a sponge. It is awesome. I can see him making choices, some good, some not so good. It doesn't matter, he is learning.

I have said it before, that I don't believe in the terrible 2's. I will say it again. I don't believe in them. I am watching him test limits, push boundaries and discover the person he wants to be. It's not terrible. Difficult at times, yes. But not terrible. I love my son and with a little guidance and a lot of patience he will grow up to be something bigger and better then me. I am not saying that there have not been difficult days. Bridge can atest to those. I cry on her shoulder a lot and we commisserate together. Terry also constantly reminds me to not worry so much and just have fun. But I am having fun! It is the most fun you can have standing up!!!

Where to begin...Maybe I should let Max tell you?!

When I woke up on Sunday morning Mommy and Daddy made me breakfast and sang me Happy Birthday. I am not really sure what that was all about but it was fun and they were having fun so who am I to stop them. Then they brought out a bunch of stuff all wrapped up in paper. Daddy had to show me how to get started, but once I figured it out, it was on!!

Mommy started off with the boring stuff first.
 
I showed a little interest. Just so she wouldn't be disapointed.

I do kind of like puzzles. But what's with all the letters??

Now we're talking!! Dinosaur Train, with a battery powered train.
"Toot Toot!"

Leave it to Daddy to get the good stuff and save the best for last!

My first remote control car!! My dad rocks!

And it's a school bus! "Beep Beep!" Does he know me or what?

Then we got in the car and drove to Elbe. Mommy and Daddy have been telling me for weeks that we were going to Elbe, but they wouldn't say for what. I have been saying Elbe for days and now I know why! We are riding a real STEAM TRAIN!!!

I got another big surprise when we got there. My cousin Claire and best friend Jake were coming on the train with us! Does it get any better?

Mommy and Bridge tried to wrangle us for a group photo. Not so much!

"Yeah, we're gonna ride a train. Cool, huh?!"

They let us climb and play on this old train to get out some energy before boarding.

"We are off!!"

 This is my best friend Jake and his mommy Bridgette getting settled in before the train started to go.

 This is me and my mommy. Isn't she the greatest? By the way, check out my cool Thomas the Tank Engine tattoo. Mommy got some for Jake and Claire too.

This is me and daddy next to my cousin Claire. That is my Uncle Mikes head in the corner.

The ride was kind of long but we saw some really cool stuff along the way. There were tractors and trucks, bridges and rivers. Jake is really good at spotting large machinery and I always look when he yells "tractor" and I am never disappointed.

 This is the river under one of the trestle bridges. Not sure what it is called though.

The conductor says that Mt. Rainier is out there somewhere, obscured by the clouds. What ever that means!

This isn't the clearest picture, but that is a beaver dam! We didn't see the beavers!

 The train stopped out at Mineral Lake. They let us get off and Jake led a hike down the trail to check out the lake and the scenery.

Daddy took this great picture of Jake and his momma.

We got back on the train and headed back to Elbe. It was a much shorter ride, but still lots of fun. Jake, Claire,  mommy, Bridgette and I walked all around and even sat at the very back of the train and watched the tracks go by. Mommy and Bridgette said it made them a little sick. Not sure why though.

When we got back to the train depot we went and ate dinner in a real train car. It was super fun. Even Jake and Bridgette had dinner with us. Mommy made cupcake for dessert and they sang me that silly Happy Birthday song again. Not to break with tradition I didn't eat my cupcakes this year either!

*Full disclosure: The following photos are from today and not from the restaurant. The blogging Mommy forgot to take pictures of her son blowing out his birthday candles the first time around.*

Yup, I'm 2 and I love Thomas the Tank Engine!

I actually blew out my candles this time.

It doesn't count as eating my cupcake this time cause it isn't really my birthday today! Mommy said the sugar rush was instantaneous!

I had an awesome time on the train and I am so glad that my cousin Claire, aunt Maryann and uncle Mike, Jake and Bridgette could be a part of my special day. I can't wait to see what this next year has in store for me. Thanks to everyone who made my birthday so special.
Love to everybody,
Maxer

No comments:

Post a Comment