Friday, July 29, 2011

Nature vs. Nurture

Before having one, I often wondered about the gentrification and Nature vs. Nurture theories when it came to raising a child. Theoretically speaking the idea of nurturing a childs ideas and following their interests made perfect sense. When Maxwell came I made sure that he had plenty of none gender specific toys as well as feminine and masculine things to play with. I even saved one of my Cabbage Patch Babies for him.
While he loves on his baby doll, only periodically, and sleeps with his froggy every night, it seems that all he really wants to do is play with cars, trucks, trains, his tools and his dump trucks.
I know that most of it is because he watches his daddy, at work and at play, and sees other kids doing the same at the play park. But it has made me really curious as to what is really going on inside his mind.
A friend and I were recently discussing the Nature vs. Nurture theory while watching Max play. We have decided that much of what children do is based purely on instinct. He has a natural drive to do what the universe has choosen as masculine things. I can only hope that as he gets a little older his interests will shift, as I am sure they will many times over, and he will learn to love all sorts of activities.
But just to show you where his head is at these days, here are a few self explanatory photos.



 He is all boy!!
I am sure that Uncle Dan would argue that digging ditches and excavating is good, hard, respectable work.

No comments:

Post a Comment